While Union Government kicked off Jal Shakti Abhiyan, a water conservation movement to focus on renovation of water bodies, regulating industrial consumption, harvesting rainwater and reuse of wastewater, textile conglomerate Pratibha Syntex in Pithampur, Madhya Pradesh, is already working for inclusive water conservation in its industrial campus.
Pratibha Syntex is recycling 100 per cent of waste water oozing out from dye house through its state-of-the-art effluent treatment plant and four stage RO. With the treatment, it is recovering 97 per cent of water, which is infused back in the dying processes again. Remaining 3 per cent of water gets evaporated by three stage multi stage evaporators, said Pratibha Syntex in a report.
Developed with latest technology the Sewage Treatment Plant (STP), the campus uses domestic waste generated through 2000 people residing in the campus. This waste water is treated to generate 68 per cent of recovery. The recovered water is used in boiler and to top up the dye house requirement. The remaining 32 per cent water is used for gardening and humidification of plants.
“Considering the fact that textile industry is the second largest pollutant of water after oil and gas industry it is our responsibility to make adequate reuse of water,” said Amrit Pal Singh Chhabra, Head Engineering Department. “We have installed latest ETP, STP and rainwater harvesting plants in our campus.”
“We have developed rain water harvesting plant at our garmenting unit, with the capacity to collect 4800 kilolitres of water. The water is utilised to increase the water level of the earth there. In the process of recycling, reusing and recharging of water, Pratibha Syntex has reduced its fresh water consumption from 1400 kilolitres per day in 2010-11 to 500 kilolitres per day as on date,” said Chhabra. “Adding that because of our efforts in water conservation, Pollution Control Board has feted us with Madhya Pradesh State Level Environment Award in the year 2018. We are zero liquid discharge compliant facility, which means we do not discharge any pollutants in the environment.”